Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drinking culture in Laos. (Read 15028 times)

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Drinking culture in Laos.
11th Mar, 2011 at 8:10am

What do you guys think about the drinking culture in Laos? Children as young as eight consume alchohol on a daily basis. Then there are the weekend binges too, where "casual" drinkers get in on the action as well. How do you guys feel about this issue?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Drinking culture in Laos.
Reply #1 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 10:22am

It's a problem, but I don't drink so it's not my problem.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #2 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 10:35am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 11th Mar, 2011 at 10:22am:
It's a problem, but I don't drink so it's not my problem.

Is there even a law preventing kids from drinking?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 11:27am

Yes, like in every country technically there is, but it's not strict.

IP Logged

Lephan
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #4 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 3:19pm

If i have a relationship with a Lao girl, do i have to know to drink much? ( because i can't drink much, everytime i drink beer, my face turns really red  Undecided)

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #5 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 3:55pm

Few kids drink and smoke, but most kids don't 8 yrs old don't have money for beer.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 5:55pm

Lephan, Not every girl in Laos likes to drink alcohol. If you're not a drinker, then it's wise to have a relationship with someone that doesn't drink. Lao girls who enjoy drinking can be heartbreakers.

Yes, it's rare to find children under the age of 10 drinking and smoking in Laos.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #7 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 12:39am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 11th Mar, 2011 at 5:55pm:
Lephan, Not every girl in Laos likes to drink alcohol. If you're not a drinker, then it's wise to have a relationship with someone that doesn't drink. Lao girls who enjoy drinking can be heartbreakers.

Yes, it's rare to find children under the age of 10 drinking and smoking in Laos.

I see it all the time (in the villages). I don't know what it's like where YOU stay, but where I'M from, it's considered the norm. Maybe this type of thing is reserved for special occassins, like when they have foreign relatives holidaying. Some even have home-made tattoos emblazoned over various parts of their anatomies. As far as smoking goes...................never witnessed that one. I even offered them a few packets, as gifts. Let's just say they passed the test. For now.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Lephan
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #8 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 3:35am

Larb Dip wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 12:39am:
Admin Saovaluck wrote on 11th Mar, 2011 at 5:55pm:

I see it all the time (in the villages). I don't know what it's like where YOU stay, but where I'M from, it's considered the norm. Maybe this type of thing is reserved for special occassins, like when they have foreign relatives holidaying. Some even have home-made tattoos emblazoned over various parts of their anatomies. As far as smoking goes...................never witnessed that one. I even offered them a few packets, as gifts. Let's just say they passed the test. For now.

Yes, that's what i mean Cheesy I have worked with Minister of Laos Ministry of Culture. I remember he said that, in Laos, man drinks much. What if i come to her house and they invite me some wine or beer and my face turns so red Sad ? i hope they don't mind! (I'm from VN btw)

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #9 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 10:07am

Just be upfront and honest with them and say you don't drink alcohol.

If they still pressure you to drink it, you could have a sip to make them happy or just refuse it altogether.

They won't mind.

IP Logged

Lephan
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #10 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 5:16pm

Thank u   Cool now i feel good  Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 12:00am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 10:07am:
Just be upfront and honest with them and say you don't drink alcohol.

If they still pressure you to drink it, you could have a sip to make them happy or just refuse it altogether.

They won't mind.

I have a question that is sort of on this subject and on the subject that posted earlier dealing with Lao wedding. I saw in the videos I have been watching that the family of the bride gives the groom drinks at the door. Also, the groom and bride sip some alcoholic beverage during the ceremony.

A friend asked me, "What if I am a recovering Alcoholic? Do I still have to drink? Will it offend them if I don't drink with them?"

One more thing, I read that if you are offered a drink in Laos, it is an insult to refuse it. Is this also true?    

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 12:27am

If the parents of the broom and bride are aware that one or both of them don't drink alcohol, then there will none of it for the couple to sip during the ceremony. It's not an important issue.

If the connections of the groom are aware that he can't drink alcohol, they will provide a different kind of non-alcoholic drink for him at the door.

If you're offered a drink in Laos, they won't be offended because they naturally think that foreigners don't know about Lao culture.

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #13 - 11th Apr, 2011 at 2:05am

A child with a bottle of beerlao. I don't know why Lao parents would do this, even if it's just for a photo.

beer-lao.jpg

IP Logged

LaoguySoCal
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #14 - 11th Apr, 2011 at 9:55pm

lol they don't waste time, they start them out early as soon as you can hold a bottle. Classic!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 3 14237 Last Post 2nd Sep, 2024 at 5:45pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 38 321538 Last Post 22nd Aug, 2024 at 4:09pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 3 98448 Last Post 17th Aug, 2024 at 4:50pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 56520 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 118822 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 162102 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 95813 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 94395 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 75481 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 59772 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum